Preparing my child for School
The first day is a BIG DAY for our youngest students who are starting school. For older students who are transitioning from other schools, they will feel different emotions of happiness, excitement and nervousness. Our staff and students will welcome your child and look after them in our school as they become part of the Onepoto School whanau. All children from Year 1 to Year 6 are welcome to enrol.
- We invite parents to enrol their child/ren when they turn four. School visits help children to transition to school and will be booked through the office.
- Once enrolled, you will be able to keep up to date with what’s happening at our school through our e-mailed newsletters, website and school app.
- Early enrolment will also help us to monitor class growth and staffing, throughout the year.
New Students from other schools
- For older students enrolling from another school, you will have an interview with the Principal and then visit your hapori – team. A start date will then be confirmed.
- A copy of your last school report and/or other school information would be helpful.
We are not signatories to the Code for International Students. We will be applying for this in the near future.
How do we enrol?
Fill in the Enrolment Form
- Fill in the online Enrolment Form or pop into the school office to pick up a paper copy.
Online Enrolment Form
Bring in the required documents
Please bring into school:
- Completed Enrolment Form (if this is was not done online)
- Birth certificate or passport. If your child was not born in New Zealand, we require both your child’s birth certificate and passport.
- Your child’s Immunisation Certificate is required for children enrolling in a New Zealand school for the first time (this can be obtained from your family doctor)
- For older students, a copy of your most recent school report or other school information.
- For In-Zone Enrolments – If you live in the Enrolment Zone, a copy of a bill with proof of your address.
Our Office Manager will take good care of your enrolment enquiries and can support you through this process. You are welcome to come and speak in person, ring or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Once we have processed your enrolment our Office Manager will contact you to arrange an Enrolment Interview with the Principal and transition to school visits for those who are new to school.
Transition to School Visits & Start Date
Our Office Manager will work with you to schedule the school visit dates and start date. Children usually visit on Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 8.45 am – 11 am the week before they start. Children then start on the following Monday.
School visits help children transition to the school environment. While we encourage 2 visits, we know that some children may need more visits before they start school. We will discuss this with you on a case-by-case basis. Some children may also visit with their early childhood centre (ECE), and the child’s parent can also attend at this time.
- We encourage school visits a week prior to your child starting school, or towards the end of the term prior if they are starting on the first day of a new term.
- We recommend two visits.
- If more visits are needed, this can be discussed with the Team Leader.
- Parents are required to stay at this time.